Basic Baby Needs-Baby Clothes, Basic Layette, Feeding and Bedding NeedsWritten by on April 4th, 2009
What does a baby really need in the first weeks at home? The answer is – not much. This baby needs checklist will help you choose the basic baby items, often called a layette, that a baby needs to have in the first precious weeks of life.
Baby Needs: Clothing and Layette
* 5-10 onesies or rompers, depending on how often you want to do laundry
* 5-7 baby sleepers or nightgowns
* 1 cold weather sleeper if necessary
* 5-7 pairs of baby socks
* 1-2 newborn hats, depending on climate
Baby Needs: Diapers and Bath Items
* 2 packs of disposable diapers or enough cloth diapers for at least two days. Newborns can soil up to 10 diapers per day.
* 1 pack of disposable wipes or 10 cloth wipes
* Waterproof pad for diaper changes
* 3-5 baby washcloths
* 1-2 hooded towels, if desired.
* Adult towels will work, too.
* 1 bottle of gentle baby wash
* Baby nail clippers
* Digital thermometer
Baby Needs: Bedding and Feeding
* 3-4 fitted sheets for crib, cradle, co-sleeper or bassinet
* 5-7 lightweight blankets
* 1-2 heavier blankets, depending on climate
* 10 burp cloths
* 5-8 bottles, if you’re bottle feeding
* Breastfeeding pillow, if desired
That’s it! While there are many baby products on the market that make a parent’s life easier, most are wants, not needs. While it may be tempting to buy every gadget on the shelf, remember, your baby will be just as happy with the basic items that he or she really needs.